Saturday, December 4, 2010

Things that I wish English had


Living in China, as an individual who is a native English speaker and who can comfortably converse in Chinese, I often find myself struggling to express something in one language which is simple to say in another. This is expected with Chinese, since it is at a far lower level of proficiency than my fluent and (somewhat) articulate English, but this happens in my native language as well. With decent regularity I find myself searching for a suitable word or a phrase, search so much that is causes a clearly and noticeably long pause in the flow of conversation. Sometimes is it just how to say something in English for which has a slightly different meaning or use in Chinese. I jotted down a few (of what I view of as) shortcomings of the languages that I use, and I am going to go ahead and share those with you.
  • One of the most basic things that I think English lacks and could benefit from is a gender neutral 3 person pronoun. In Chinese although 他 and 她 are written differently, they are pronounced identically, meaning that if I say that I am going to meet someone you cannot tell if I am meeting a male or a female. It would be useful for the U.S. obsession with political correctness in referring to people since any hypothetical situations could refer to a gender ambiguous individual rather than to a 'him' or to a 'her.' Incidently, 它 (meaning 'it') is also an homophone with 他 and 她, so one could state one's actions even more vaguely.
  • I also think that English could benefit from a  person singular possessive word indicating shared ownership and a seperate one indicating single person ownership. Chinese splits the idea of 'us' into two parts: 咱們 is used to mean 'us' when the person being spoken to (or written to or communicated to in any other way) is also included. For instance, "this is our world" might use 咱們 in Chinese. The other way of saying us is 我们, which is ambiguous if the listener is included or not. I would enjoy it if Chinese also had a way of saying 'us' which clearly excluded the listener, such as "This is our food, not yours."
  • In both the English word proud and its common Chinese translation (骄傲) there is a double meaning of too fairly similar ideas, but which have fairly different connotations. In both languages the word can be used to indicate pleasure and/or satisfaction with one's accomplishments (which has a faint positive connotation), but it can also mean an arrogance and over-inflated view of one's self which has a very negative connotation.
  • The English word patronize also has a double meaning, one with a clearly positive meaning and the other with a very strong negative connotation. If I have a patron (who technically would be patronizing me, right?) that means that I have the support, usually financial but sometimes social as well, of a powerful individual. For instance, some students from poor backgrounds have wealthy patrons that sponsor their studies. However, someone can also be overly paternal, which is also patronizing, because it involves someone being treated as an infant, a child, or someone that is generally ignorant or naive.
  • I feel that English (and to my knowledge Chinese as well) lacks the vocabulary to describe friends and acquaintances to the specificity that I would like. The word 'friend' has such a wide meaning, from a person that I would choose to be my best man or to have at my deathbed all the way to somebody I met at a bar last night and with whom I had a general genial conversation. I would definitely make use of a wider range of words if there existed terms to describe personal relationships with more detail based on the length you have known someone, how close you feel to someone, how much you trust someone, how much you like someone, and other factors that I can't think of but differentiate my friendships from each other.
  • I think it would be great if English had a verd to describe non-verbal communication.This would allow me to describe the ways I communicate with people or the ways that people communicate with me more succinctly. e.g.: "He non-verbally-communicated-with-me that we should juggle together" or "She non-verbally-communicated-with-me that I should come in for a cup of coffee."
  • English needs a better word than 'dumplings' to describe a whole bunch of different world cuisines. Even just with Chinese food 包子, 饺子, and 粽子 are all different items, much like a BLT, a ham and cheese sandwich and a hamburger both involve some food items between two pieces of bread. They therefore are all of a similar basic structure; however, the preparation and the items contained within are clearly different.
  • English has some words for non-physical growth, such as development and maturation. I guess maturation is the closest to the word that I am looking for, but I want something a little more value neutral. I want to be able to tell someone that I have changed mentally or emotionally is a way which is growth, but it is not good or bad; it just is.
  • I also want more ways to say that something or someone is normal, mediocre, or average without the negativity attached to these words. If I want to describe some people as regular people, or if I want to describe my test scores as average that often implies that (by virtue of not being good) they are bad. I am very big on being able to describe things without attaching a value judgment, and there are many times I want to describe something as mediocre, or nothing special, or as average without implying an positivity or negativity.
  • Although English has a word which is spot on for 利他主义 (altruism), Chinese has an opposite phrase which I cna only describe as "selfishism." Selfishness and greed can both describe this idea to an extent, but the Chinese word is really a philosophy/ideology; is has that "-ism" attached to the end, which I feel makes it of a much broader meaning than just selfishness.
  • Speaking of selfishness, the Chinese language has a fairly wide view of it compared to English. In English, a private room or a private bath or a private anything wouldn't necessarily have any negative meaning attached to it. In Chinese, however, the character for private in Chinese (私) also has a meaning of selfishness, which I would describe as privacy for oneself at the expense of others. This means that elopement (私奔), personal matters (私事), and just the concept of privacy in Chinese has a bit of a negative meaning. After all, to the typical Chinese view (to which there are, of course, exceptions in various individuals) why should one hide and sequester away these things to keep them from others?
  • I would like a word in English to differentiate between work that is paid (such as "I work at a preschool") and word that is more voluntary (such as "I am working on writing this paper" or "I am working at my friend's juggling shop this weekend"). I have run into difficulty in describing what I do recently when I have helped out various friends with various things, and whenever I describe it as 'work' people misunderstand and believe that I am being financially compensated for my time and efforts.
  • In a similar vein, I want a better way to describe a class that I go to that is required as a part of school, and a class that I go to for recreational purposes, more as a hobby. When I describe a martial arts class, a dance class, a language class, or something like that, a responses that I have gotten include "You have a class on the weekend?", "Why are you going to a class in the evening?", and "But you are already graduated? Why are you still taking classes?". This might be a cultural thing as well, since a fairly small number of the Chinese people I know go out to pursue their interests and learn beyond formal schooling.
  • The best way can think of to describe 主动 in English is to "take the initiative" and to "actively do something without anyone else prompting you to," but I would love if there was an adjective in English that could mean "she 'initiatively' started the work."
  • One more differentiation that Chinese makes with a common word that english seems to lack are two different ways of signifying 'or.' The Chinese word 或者 indicated that either of the options listed would be okay. An example of this meaning in English would be "I would be fine with going to the museum or the movie theater." Chinese has another or though (还是), which indicates that one of the two options must be chosen; this or is used in questions promoting other people for information. An example of this or in use would be "Do you want to the museum or the movie theater?". In Chinese, if you use the second or to say something that is not a question looking for more information it will be very unusual, and people might not even understand what you mean. Conversely, if you use the first or to ask a question, people will just think you are making a statement that they have two options (e.g.: "You could go to the museum or the theater").
If you can think of any others, please post a comment and let me know. Also, if you know of any English words or other solutions to the frustrations and problems I have expressed here, please post to let me know! 

2 comments:

  1. Hehe, well English is a bit complex in the way it expresses things since it is aHehe, well English is a bit complex in the way it expresses things since it is a derivative of so many languages, and centers them all around a very American desire for being to-the-point. English sentences adopt a more informal connotation when you withdraw from specificity. In English, the difference between mandatory and volunteer work would be, "I work at a preschool" vs "I take a little..." "I play around with..." "I do some... on the side".

    Same thing with saying something is "normal" or "so-so". English tends to accomplish this by retreating from specificity with words like "fine", "not bad" etc. In addition, English often makes up for depth of meaning by adding certain types of emphasis (tones? haha) in certain places. This or that. This ORRRRR that [insert raised eyebrows].

    I agree on the neutral 3rd person. 它 and 她 and 他 are fairly modern too in terms of usage conventions--probably in order to better synch with Western languages and Japanese. I love that in Chinese so much. I've tried calling babies "it", but that just makes the mother mad. At least English ain't as bad as other European languages, where even unrelated words have masculine and feminine implications to them!

    There is a fairly small movement to add a new word to English, "zay" or" zee" to refer to someone without gender specifications. It's promoted by various hermaphrodite and transgender movements.

    I feel like usage of 咱们 vs 我们 is mainly a Beijing thing. Of course, it may spread out to other regions, but most of the people I encounter who use that distinction are from Beijing or Dongbei area.

    Connotatively, I'm not sure what the difference is between 骄傲 and 得意 or 自得, but I feel like the latter too have less of an "arrogant" feel. Also, when talking about "private", I guess one could try and make use of 自 to get around the 私 issues, but maybe that's being to creative? haha. Maybe the opposite of altruism is immoralism (as per Nietzsche)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As far as non-physical "growth", I generally still refer to it as "growth" (as in, 'I've grown'). The difference in meaning is obvious from context, and technically, since the brain is constantly evolving and changing, it is still technically physical growth. People grow together and grow apart, and may grow into entirely different people from the person that they were.

    I don't usually mix up "patron" with 'patronizing". For "patronage", I generally just use "sponsorship".

    Non-verbal communication? Come on, we're Americans! Everything is very direct, clear, and to the point! Seriously, though, I am not clear and what you mean. Like... "he motioned to me..." or he "signed to me..." or he "indicated to me...."?

    I agree on the whole "friend" issue. I have always had problems with that in English--especially after the advent of Facebook! I'm not as worried about it in Chinese, because Chinese can always fall back to 成語 or poetic 文言 terms to refer to varying kinds of friendship---something usually not recognized in English.

    Something that bothers me about Chinese is that there are many words (some that you've listed) that are the only way to say them and cannot be separated from their connotation. If I try to be creative and express it in a way that is absent of its connotation, I get chided because it's not the proper word for it and people just don't understand. That kind of linguistically linear thinking kind of bothers me.

    I guess it's just because I am an American guy and I am attached to the notion of linguistic freedom. Which brings me to my next point. English is a vastly flexible language, with people making up ways of expressing things all the time (just look at hip-hop, which is probably 70% made up). If you feel something is lacking, I'd say just 'go for it' and make the necessary change yourself. Sometimes, I wish there were an online application, where you can type in a word you wish to say, and it would churn out the proper expression.

    ReplyDelete