Monday, September 19, 2011

Thor... in Spanish

I had an interesting experience the other night: on the WWOOF farm we watched Thor. That's right. Normally we have dinner at 11:00 or so, (with plenty of red wine) and I sleepily go off to bed as soon as I finish eating while the Spaniards chat, smoke, and drink until God knows what hour. That night, however, we started dinner ludicrously early; perhaps 10:00 in the evening. Edua set up a computer and some speakers next to the table in the yard, and we all stared at the small screen for the duration of our meal. There were plenty of jokes about how (SPOILERS) naturally when Thor comes to Earth he lands in the United States, about how easy American girls seem in Hollywood movies, and something Remi said upon his seeing an Asian actor that unsettled me (due to my unsureness of what constitutes racism) about how the Chinese are everywhere, even in Asgard.

The film itself was nothing memorable; in fact, I would consider it to be less entertaining and of lower quality (in terms of an engaging story/plot that I could not predict) than most American blockbuster movies. Since the film was in Spanish, I didn't catch a good deal of the dialogue, but it wasn't too necessary to understand what was going on. I was, nonetheless, surprised by how much I did understand. Perhaps it was so clear form the context, perhaps, because I could have guessed the lines anyway, or perhaps due to it being spoken very clearly and without any think regional accent. I guess that it is a possibility that most of what I understood (linguistically) was not due to my Spanish language skills, but rather due to my childhood passion for mythology. I guess it just gows to show that not all of my childhood was wasted!

No comments:

Post a Comment