Friday, September 16, 2011

Stretching, Sunshine, and Nudity

I spent most of this morning scanning over a part of Tim Ferris's 4 Hour Body. I originally purchased it online as an ebook via amazon last winter, making it my first ever purchase of electronic reading material. I would have probably bought the physical made-from-dead-trees book, but I was unable to find it from the cheap booksellers on the streets of Beijing, and international shipping would have cost considerably more than the book itself, not to mention a delay of a few weeks before it would have arrived. Making my first purchase of an ebook was a little bit intimidating (not because of the process, but due to my own caution of doing something that I had never done before). Lacking amazon's kindle device, I am still perfectly able to read it on my computer or on my phone. What do ya know: instant satisfaction! Anyway, to come back to the present, I was scanning through various exercises in the book, and I decided to resume a regimen of regular exercise. I have now composed a list of exercises that I hope to do daily here on the farm. Perhaps only a few times a week in the future, but I have plenty of time during the daily siesta here on Finca Las Morras, so I might as well make use of the time by adding physical exercise to my daily activities. According to my timing of my exercises today, they should take me about 30-35 minutes to complete everything, including a small amount of muscle strengthening, a good amount of stretching for greater hip and leg flexibility, and some random things, such as finger fitness that I learned froÖzgür, neck stretching from Matthieuw from Beijing, Nauli and belly rolling, and vertical waving (hip hop style). I think that basking in the sunshine next to the swimming pool will be a good place for me to do these exercises on a yoga mat. After I stick to this routine for the next two weeks, I should be able to feel a difference in my body.

Since I am not really doing any full yoga routines (such as sun salutations), but rather just certain poses and stretched from yoga, I can't really claim that I am doing naked yoga. Naked stretching still feels pretty good, though! Apart from the comfort of the sun and the wind on bare skin, there is a great feeling of naturalness.  

1 comment:

  1. Yes, to sunbathe, or swim nude: afterwards, after having had that experience, and becoming accustomed to it -- a silly as it sounds,it can really be a bring down to have to wear a bathing suit. It's almost a feeling of being psychologically constrained, as though you were now somehow limited. And maybe you are: by the awareness of the absence of a heretofore unknown freedom.
    Maybe it's analogous to vacations: suddenly you are reawakened by the experience of actually living and feeling that things are real -- and then you return to routine and cliches

    ReplyDelete