Wednesday, October 20, 2010

On learning Spanish, and on being (thought of as) mixed blood

I took the level test at the Cervantes Institute today, and I tested into B.12, which is a lower/middle level of the intermediate level. It was a little shocking to realize just how much I have forgotten since June, but I think it is perfectly understandable since I have studied less than a dozen hours over the past four months. Although the Spanish conversation nights are going well and adding a few new faces each week, I think that nothing but sitting down and studying is gonna help me remember all of the verb tenses that I have forgotten how to construct. Anyway, since it would take me so long to get from my home to the Cervantes Institute I decided to enroll in an online course (for about 1/8 of the price of an in-person course). If I want to take a course in person, I can always give that a shot in January, when a new round of classes start. In the mean time I will use self-study, the online course, and the conversation night to try and improv my Spanish a bit.

Aside from actually registering for the class, the most interesting part was when one of the people working in the office asked me (in Chinese) "Are your parents both from the United States? Why can you speak Chinese? Are you a mixed blood child?" I told her that both my parents were born in the U.S., and I just happened to decide to study languages when I was in college. She said I looked like I could be a mixed blood child. It once again illustrated what I perceive as a common view here in China: foreigners learning Chinese is not normal, so if a foreigner (like me) can speak some Chinese (like I can) there must be some special reason or unusual situation for it (such as being half-Chinese, as I am not). I think the idea that people can learn any language they like without any special reason is quite foreign to many people's mindsets around here.

10 comments:

  1. Haha, in Xi'an there were a couple taxi cab and cart drivers who refused to believe that I wasn't mixed-blood, and I settled for concocting a story where I was half Chinese and half Kazakh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spanish for business Really I enjoy your site with effective and useful information. It is included very nice post with a lot of our resources.thanks for share. i enjoy this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Learn business spanish I have read all the comments and suggestions posted by the visitors for this article are very fine,We will wait for your next article so only.Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spanish verb conjugation Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great article thanks for sharing this informative information. I will visit your blog regularly for some latest post. I will visit your blog regularly for Some latest post. Spanish phrases

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice to be visiting your blog again, it has been months for me. Well this article that i’ve been waited for so long. I need this article to complete my assignment in the college, and it has same topic with your article. Thanks, great share. Learn spanish now

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great inspiring article.I am pretty much pleased with your good work.You put really very helpful information. Keep it up. Keep blogging. Looking to reading your next post. Spanish verb conjugation

    ReplyDelete
  8. good morning in Spanish A very awesome blog post. We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I discovered your this post while looking for details about blog-related research ... It's a great post .. keep posting and updating information. It is very important to have accurate knowledge about your health. There must be some professional medical translation service provider which help us to understand more about our health so we can perform medical tasks more precisely. medical translation company

    ReplyDelete