Tuesday, October 26, 2010

I am convinced

I am working forty-ish hour work weeks. From the time I arrive at work in the morning to the time I leave in the afternoon/evening is about 8.5 to 9 hours. I get a two hour(ish) break in the afternoon, which I sometimes can start 30 minutes early, and which is sometimes taken up partially or completely by meetings, lesson plannings, or other preparations for the preschool. I just got back from my weekly Spanish conversation night, at which Seamus (from Ireland) and Ben (from England) are regulars. Ben works as an editor and a writer at a magazine, and he works four hours a week. Seamus teaches English and Gaelic at a large university, and he is working six hours a week. They are both living comfortably enough. I know I have to make a certain amount of money (for the next ten years {unless I can afford to pay above the minimum [which I hope to be able to do at some point]}) to pay off my college debt, but there has got to be a way I can do it working less than forty hours a week. I have been reading some articles by Chris Guillebeau recently about getting free of a 9-to-5 life, and they are having great emotional appeal for me. I committed to a year with this preschool, and so I will do a year of work here, but I think I will at some point attempt to live off of less than forty hours of work each week and see where it gets me.

No comments:

Post a Comment