Monday, October 3, 2011

Reading Material at the WWOOF farm

I like to read. While at the WWOOF farm I read Errant in Iberia, For Whom the Bell Tolls, and The Ethical Slut, plus The Count of Monte Cristo as an audiobook. I was also intrigued by some of the reading material that was available there. Half of the living room seemed to be stacks of old magazines, with a cupboard full of atlases in the corner.


The bathroom had magazines of two distinct types. One was a magazine with political comics called El Jueves, and the others were adult comics. I was amazed! Although I think that I was vaguely familiar with the idea of dirty magazines in a bathroom, I had never actually seen them in anybody's bathroom before.


The living room and the kitchen provided some more mature reading options, ranging from political books, cooking books, multiple dictionaries, and one book that I recall as being "A Complete History of Drugs."

My best experience of finding reading material on the farm was definitely a comic book that I took a liking to. It featured some teachers and some students at a secondary school in Spain. The comic book, called Acné y 4º de ESO, served fairly well to introduce me to some new vocaulbary, as well as to show me some fairly humorous situations of the teachers and students. Some of them I could even relate to. I really enjoyed reading it, and I felt it was sort of a culturally educating experience for me, especially useful since I will likely be working with kids of that age.

No comments:

Post a Comment