Thursday, October 6, 2011

High-tech trains

I think that to be an international journalist from the United States nowadays, one must make an effort to mention the relative decline of the U.S. as often as possible, making particular references to infrastructure and public transportation. Although I am not a journalist (yet?), I too find myself marveling at the areas in which other countries have advanced and are advancing. My experience in China no doubt gives me a certain view on it, but now I am living in Europe, on the opposite end of the development spectrum. Having experienced trains in China and in the United States, it would be pointless for me to comment on speed, efficiency, price, or cleanliness. One thing that I haven't seen a lot of in the press, though, is doors and locks. Seriously: on the high speed train between Toledo and Madrid, there isn't even a handle on the door to the bathroom. Although I normally consider myself to be a fairly tech-focused person, I was absolutely amazed. I felt like a bit of a Luddite. But is this a display of technological prowess? A waste of funds that could have been put to better uses? Since physical contact is still necessary I would assume that there is not major effect on sanitation, while there is an energy consumption where previously there was none, without significantly improving life for the majority of the population. Is having this kind of a high-tech door worth it?

No comments:

Post a Comment